The benefits of home automation typically fall into a few categories, including savings, safety, convenience, and control. Additionally, some consumers purchase home automation for comfort and peace of mind.
Here’s a closer look at some of the biggest benefits that home automation provides.
- Savings: Smart thermostats and smart light-bulbs save energy, cutting utility costs over time. Some home automation technologies monitor water usage, too, helping to prevent exorbitant water bills. Certain devices even offer rebates.
- Safety: Many home automation technologies fall under the umbrella of home security. Consumers purchase these devices because they want to make their homes safer and more secure. Automated lighting deters would-be burglars, and motion sensors alarm owners when there has been a breach. Motion sensors are also used illuminate doors ways and hallways late at night. Security cameras offer benefits through either remote monitoring of package deliveries or real-time video of home inhabitants or unwanted visitors.
- Convenience: Because home automation technology performs routine tasks automatically, end users experience great convenience. There are a lot of smart electronics, appliances and fixtures that are compatible with one another, and you can set different triggers between devices to automate regular home processes and manage controls remotely. For instance, you could set your smart locks to turn on your smart lighting when you unlock the front door.
- Control: Consumers also choose smart home devices to better control functions within the home. With home automation technology, you can know what’s happening inside your home at all times.
- Comfort: Some people use smart technology to record shows or to play music throughout the home. Connected devices can also help create a comfortable atmosphere—they provide intelligent and adaptive lighting, sound, and temperature, which can all help create an inviting environment.
- Peace of Mind: Finally, many consumers invest in home automation technology for peace of mind. Parents can keep an eye on their children thanks to smart cameras and other technologies. Or, if you can’t remember whether you closed the garage after you left, you can verify and close it remotely with an app.